WHAT IS A SMART THERMOSTAT?
A smart thermostat is a thermostat that can be controlled with a phone, tablet, smart speaker, or other internet-connected device. Smart thermostats typically allow you to schedule your desired temperature settings, and you can also incorporate them into home automation systems.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Check on your home with real-time information about the climate from your smart thermostat. Not only can you see temperature, but you can also adjust it while you are away if changes are needed. This can be done anywhere your smart phone has a signal. This is both practical and convenient.
- Certain smart thermostats even allow you to set predetermined temperature limits so that you can know what is happening. When these limits are crossed, an alert email will be sent to let you know of the unexpected change.
- A smart thermostat will save energy; when energy is saved, you save money. Smart thermostats turn down the temperature while you are away to save energy.
- Some thermostats can help to control Humidity levels in your home, by keeping your ac on longer. This can greatly reduce future maintenance problems and contribute to a more comfortable environment.
- Compatible apps make smart thermostats easy to set up and program, unlike regular programmable thermostats with no smartphone connectivity. You can even have a preset vacation mode so that your regular settings won’t be messed up. You can even compare month to month statistics.
How much can I save with a smart thermostat?
The EPA reports that you could save roughly $180 a year by using a programmable thermostat. And it’s even easier with a smart thermostat that does all the thinking for you.
If you set your thermostat 1 or 2 degrees higher or lower than your usual number, you’ll see a 1 to 3 percent savings in your energy bill. Take it to the next level by setting it back 10 to 15 degrees for the 8 hours you’re at work and your savings jumps to nearly 10 percent.
Of course, you can adjust your settings manually with a traditional programmable thermostat. However, one study discovered that nearly 50% of households with programmable thermostats don’t set them up. A smart thermostat never forgets, learns your habits and actually cares about saving you money.
Why invest in humidity control?
Comfort: Do you constantly feel like you home is at an uncomfortable temperature? Too cold, then suddenly too hot and sticky? Controlling Humidity is key!
Health: Humidity that’s too high can provide a breeding ground for mold and mildew. Either of those can become a serious health concern, especially for any family members who have allergies, asthma, or other respiratory conditions. In addition to dry, itchy skin, too low humidity can lead to dry nasal passages. And that can lead to nose bleeds and increased vulnerability to colds. Home furnishings and possessions can also be affected. The growth of mold and mildew that can result in high humidity can damage furniture, leather, clothing, and books. Excessively dry air can lead to cracked wood floors and furniture, as well as leather, drywall, and plaster.
Will My Energy Company Help Pay For A Thermostat?
If you’re thinking of buying a smart thermostat for your house, don’t rush to the nearest Best Buy and pay full price—check with your electric or gas company first.
Your gas or electric company may offer smart thermostats to its customers at deep discounts, or sometimes even for free. It’s not a sham—these companies can take advantage of various government funded energy saving programs to offer energy saving tech at a discount. This not only helps you get a cool new device, but it also does a better job of conserving energy.
For example, as of June 2021 Magic Valley offers to give you $100 credit toward a new nest thermostat along with $50 bill credits!