Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning is a great solution for house additions and new rooms where it may be difficult to get existing heating and cooling routed. It is perfect for computer rooms, small offices, garage conversions, and more. Today’s new high performance mini split ductless AC systems are far more efficient that older models.
What is a Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioning?
Ductless mini-split air conditioners are air conditioning systems that provide cooling to one or more rooms. They incorporate the use of a condenser unit that is placed outside the home, with refrigerant and electrical lines that go through the exterior wall to connect to one or more compact, wall-mounted cooling units (zones) inside the home.
Unlike portable or window air conditioners, ductless mini-split systems are considered a permanent fixture, require professional installation and a larger investment. They are however, cheaper to install and less intrusive than central air, which uses the homes duct system and are much more expensive to put in. Ductless mini-split air conditioners can actually be more efficient because they cool only the rooms where you locate and need them so there is no energy wasted, compared to central air which cools the whole home, including unused areas. Ductless mini-split air conditioning systems usually have one, two or more zones and in some cases, you can start small with one or two room units and grow your cooling network. Learn the differences between a window air conditioner and a ductless mini-split system.
- The installation is extremely simple.
- The unit is so quiet that you won’t even know that its operating. The system comes with an indoor blower & an outdoor condensing unit, which is designed to keep the noisy components outside.
- Ductless air conditioning mini split systems are extremely efficient.
- You can cool specific areas.
- You can have individual zoning at the push of a button.
- Less than 5% loss of cooling as compared to the 40% loss of cooling due to leaky air ducts.
- These units can be purchased as a heat pump.